Thursday, July 4, 2013

Maurice King

since in a previous post I mentioned Maurice King, I decided to google him.

We used his very nicely practical books when I worked in Africa, but when I came back to the US didn't know where I could buy a copy of my own (this was years before Amazon, and yes they are now available there)

Apparently he is alive and well, and still has a sense of humor:

Maurice Henry King, MD, FRCP, FRCS

What do letters mean anyway?






       At 85 (this figure is 2003!), and still in 2012 very hard at work, I am an Honorary Research Fellow of the University of Leeds, busily engaged in trying to lift the taboo on demographic entrapment by every means in my power.



       I 'left my placenta in Ceylon and my heart in Africa' I was educated in England at Cambridge and St Thomas', and spent 20 years as a doctor in Africa, in Northern Rhodesia, Uganda, Zambia and Kenya - five years in each, with a five-year spell in Indonesia meanwhile. I started in Africa as pathologist in 1957, and moved into public health in 1963, and from then on became a writer of books for the health workers of the developing world. I have now written ten, of which Primary Surgery (two volumes) has, among others, been widely acclaimed as the standard work.

 
his website is here.

includes this nice illustration of the problem of population in developing countries.





sounds about right.
yes, I have talked against things like the RH bill here in the Philippines, but that is because it ignored the women delivering with untrained hilots and made birth control a policy to be pushed in our clinics (something that led to human ri: I suggested a better way to do this would be the pill ladies used by Bengladesh or in Zimbabwe, where a woman to woman talk would  be private and uncoerced by government.

No comments:

Post a Comment