Friday, March 8, 2019

the black death: it decimated sub sahara Africa too

Science magazine:



"There was a deep, structural change in settlement patterns," Chouin says, just as the Black Death ravaged Eurasia and North Africa. With GLOBAFRICA funding, he has since documented a similar 14th century abandonment of Ife, Nigeria, the homeland of the Yoruba people, although that site was later reoccupied.

most of the literature on the black death is from England or western Europe, but it also decimated China, India and the Middle East.

I heard a lecture from somewhere that it was so bad in Egypt that they had a famine because there was not enough manpower to keep the irrigation systems unclogged.

One of these days I'll try to do this systemically, but alas I have so many interests that I doubt I will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment