Thursday, January 28, 2016

Veteran suicide: Parsing the numbers

lots of veteran suicides, but most of them are VietNam vets, not from Iraq/Afghanistan.


press release from VA here;

with links to the longer (59 page) report for later reading.

I am not sure what the shorter article meant when referring to 22...the suicide rate is 22 for normal people, but in actuality the number is 13 for women and higher in men.

But for female physicians and for some veterans it is much higher...I don't have the data in front of me, but I seem to remember an "ain't it awful" report smearing all vets as psychos who pointed out a 29 suicide rate in veterans was proof, and then I googled that the suicide rate for female physicians was 29.

At least the VA does prevention...the NEJM, if I remember correctly, suggested a similar intervention for high risk physicians (e.g. women physicians and psychiatrists).

Of course, the NEJM also pushes suicide as a social policy, so they tend to be hypocrites.






headsup TeaAtTrianon

No comments:

Post a Comment